Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April 15th

Keeping you in suspense a bit regarding the great cutting of the knitting. I took some pics, etc, but they're still in the camera, so instead you're getting a post about the finishing of the sewing.

I had set the personal goal that all major sewing be done by April 15th, one month before the wedding. It was also convenient b/c April 15th was a Thursday, right before Justin & I were heading down to Baltimore for more wedding related festivities.

People at my job having been giving me crap about not being a nervous bride, being generally work focused, etc. So I decided to take advantage of their generosity and understanding and give them some neurotic bride behavior and leave work early to finish up the dress. And it worked!

The dress was already in good shape, the main thing that was missing was the train. I was able to draft out the train piece in the silk and sew it in, as well as pulling and resewing (correctly) the train lining, which I had previously just basted in to make sure it looked okay. I noticed that the left bust dart in the lining wasn't sewn properly and was causing some of the lingering fit issues I'd noticed, so I fixed that too. Then did all the hand sewing - sewing down the bodice lining over the bodice/skirt seam, sewing the skirt lining onto the back of the zipper so the inside was cleaner, etc.

I also bought some horsehair braid to stiffen the hem and bought enough pearl buttons to attach the lace and to bustle the train.

All that needs to be done now is to sew on those buttons (can't be done till the lace is 100% done. Again.) and to sew up the hem (can't be done until I have my shoes).

And I bought my shoes yesterday online! They should arrive on Thursday, so I'd say it's 50/50 that the dress might be DONE by the end of this week.

Wouldn't that be weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment